Posted on February 2, 2016
I have about half a dozen fantastic salads I’ve been eating over the summer that have all been on high rotation. There’s barely been a sandwich in sight!
And why not? Salads are the staple that make me happy. They lessen the guilt of chocolate… cheese… and wine…
And the simpler the salad the better. Like this kale and quick pickled carrot salad.
To be honest, a lot of the salads I’ve been making use tahini in the dressing (just quietly, I think I’m addicted!).
I truly can’t stop eating tahini. I love that there’s always a jar in my pantry. I love that it’s a great source of calcium (among other nutritional benefits). And I love that it goes so brilliantly with lemon, let alone when you blend it with lots of parsley too.
Anyway, this fabulous kale coleslaw is simple and easy but does require a little preparation the day before. The quick pickled carrots may not be as quick as some would prefer. They need a day to pickle. But in comparison to the several weeks that my other pickled vegetables are left to mature, I think they can retain their title of ‘Quick’. Everything else is raw and can be shredded right before eating.
For those who like to dabble in leftovers, this green tahini coleslaw keeps in the fridge far better than one that’s dressed with mayonnaise. It’s fabulous the next day piled in a soft piece of Lebanese bread, drizzled with chilli oil and lightly grilled.
Oh, and I only buy the un-hulled tahini. The hull contains most of the nutrients so is the most nutritious. It’s kinda like the wholegrain version of tahini.
Kale and quick pickled carrot coleslaw with green tahini
For the quick pickled carrots – start the day before – makes 750ml jar
3 cups thinly sliced (peeled) carrots – 2mm thick, use a mandoline if you have one
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp cumin seeds
10 whole black pepper corns
2cm piece fresh turmeric sliced, or substitute 1/2 tsp ground dried turmeric
- Rinse a 750ml jar with boiling water. Place the sliced carrots in the jar.
- Place the vinegar, sugar, salt, cumin seeds, black peppercorns and turmeric in a pot and bring to the boil. Cook on a rapid heat for 3 minutes.
- Whilst hot, pour the pickling liquid into the jar over the carrots. Seal the lid, and leave to pickle on the bench for 24 hours. After 24 hours store the carrots in the fridge.
For the kale coleslaw
2 cups of shredded kale
2 cups shredded white cabbage
1 large celery stick washed and sliced thinly on an angle
1/2 cup sliced pickled carrots, sliced into thin match sticks
Sesame seeds and chopped mint to garnish
For the dressing
1/3 cup un-hulled tahini
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup picked parsley leaves
1/4 cup water
Sea salt and white pepper
- Combine the shredded kale, cabbage, celery and carrot.
- Place all the ingredients for the green tahini dressing in a blender. Blitz for 45 seconds till well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the kale and cabbage and toss to combine. Serve sprinkled with sesame seeds and roughly chopped mint.